Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Packet puts Ethereal into an infinite loop

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 12:00:01 -0800
On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 12:33:21PM -0600, McNutt, Justin M. wrote:
> I am attaching a file that contains a packet that will put ethereal or
> tethereal into an infinite loop.  The loop happens ONLY if a display
> filter is used.

No, it also happens if you use "tethereal -V", and probably always
happens if you run Ethereal.

The problem was that there was a bug in the GTP dissector - it was using
an 8-bit offset relative to the beginning of an area in the packet, and
comparing it against an 8-bit length to see whether it was finished
processing the area, but if the length is 255, that won't work, as an
8-bit offset can *never* be bigger than 255.  Converting the offset to a
"guint" made the problem go away.

The packet isn't a GTP packet, apparently, but it was either to or from
the right port numbers, so....

I've checked in a fix.