Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] Capturing Packets with IBM Thinkpad

Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 10:08:46 -0000
Thanks for the reply Guy.
I am running Win2k - someone has to ;-)

For testing purposes I am using a Linksys EFAH05W 10/100 Ethernet hub. To the best of my knowledge this device does not function as a switch (unless you know different). I have three machines connected to the hub (including the Thinkpad) all running at 100M. I conclude that my interface is not in promiscuous mode because I cannot see packets sent between the other two machines - I can only see packets sent to or from the Thinkpad and broadcasts.

I have searched the Windows control panel and command prompt help but cannot find anything that will tell me whether the interface is in promiscuous mode or not.

If I can't get this to work, my next idea is to try a different Ethernet adapter that I *know* can be put in promiscuous mode - can anyone recommend one?

Best regards, Mike